Wow! Just got back from the 2010 Maryland AHPERD Convention that was held in Towson, Maryland! As always, it was fun to see President Ginny Popiolek – a friend who I have known since my early years (1983-2001) with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction! Always a joy to see Ginny and learn about what she’s accomplished in Harford County Public Schools! Other “heys” and “keep up the great work” to:
- Mark Puckett, Health Specialist for Harford County Schools
- All of the 24 Health/PE Supervisors in Maryland!
- Mike Mason, Physical Education Consultant, Maryland DOE
- Brian Griffin, Health Education Consultant, Maryland DOE (and “Master Keeper of the Screens”)
- Elaine Lindsay, Executive Director and all-around great organizer! She was able to convene a small group meeting with the new AAHPERD CEO, Paul Roetert! It was great to be able to meet Paul and listen to his pro-active stance on helping us to keep physical education viable, strong, and listened to!
Standards-Based Assessments and the Virtual PE Administrator: As we continue to promote the use of our web-based physical education assessment and tracking system, I am sensing that “the timing is right” for this innovative product. For example, I had an Assistant Superintendent from a Maryland school district approach me after one of my sessions. He indicated that Maryland’s “Race to the Top” application has made many educators re-think the need to make PE accountable as to ensure that students received strong K-12 instruction! This is a great thing!